As Children of the Most High God, it is imperative that we endeavour to pray in Spirit and in Heavenly Tongues. This is because when we pray in Spirit and in tongues, we speak mysteries according to the power of the Holy Spirit in us. 1 Corinthians 14:2, “For anyone who speaks in a tongue does not speak to people but to God. Indeed, no one understands them; they utter mysteries by the Spirit”.
Although, we may not necessarily understand the powerful tongues that we utter out of our mouths, we can be rest assured that God hears and vividly understand what our spirits communicate to Him with the help of the Holy Spirit. 1 Corinthians 14:2 “For one who speaks in a tongue speaks not to men but to God; for no one understands him, but he utters mysteries in the Spirit”.
After we have made Jesus the Lord and Saviour of our lives, we are filled with the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit will bestow upon us nine major gifts, including the gift of speaking in Tongues. Acts 2:4, “All of them were filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit enabled”. Praying in tongues is a great advantage for the Believers in Christ and it is very effective, powerful and edifying.
speaking in Tongues, enables us carry out effective warfare against the powers of the enemy. The enemy do not understand our tongues in prayer to God because it is the Holy Spirit who gives us utterance to communicate with God one to in a dynamic way. Mark 16:17, “And these signs will accompany those who believe: In my name they will drive out demons; they will speak in new tongues“.
17 Reasons Why We Pray In The Spirit And In Tongues.
1. It is a sign that we have the baptism of the Holy Spirit.
2. We speak mysteries unto God, and not people.
3. It helps us to pray the right way and for the right things.
4. It builds and edifies us spiritually.
5. It purifies our intentions, conscience and selfish desires.
6. It grows and develops our faith.
7. It helps us to yield to the Holy Spirit and pray the will of God for our lives.
8. We communicate directly to God in spirit.
9. We are strengthened, refreshed and encouraged physically and spiritually.
10. It makes us conscious of the presence of the Holy Spirit in us.
11. It tames the weaknesses and temptations of the flesh.
12. It propels the Holy Spirit to pray and intercede for us.
13. It creates the doorway to the supernatural realm.
14. We receive divine wisdom and revelation knowledge from God.
15. It helps to build our stamina, characters and mindsets.
16. We can pray broadly and without any physical barriers.
17. The Bible encourages us to pray more in tongues than in our understanding.